Sunday, April 24, 2011

Days Off

  • What with Patriot's Day and Easter this week, I had last Monday and Friday off, and I have this coming Monday off as well. Final projects for school are keeping me busy so I spent my time off doing work in my "mobile office" as Miss Sarah of Girls and Bicycles calls it.
AKA I went to the Dam Cafe. It's basically the only cafe in my whole town. I miss having the options of Rao's or Amherst Coffee or Cushman when I was doing my undergrad, but I like the atmosphere and they have really good lunch food if I don't feel like going home for lunch.

Monday looked like this:
Baseball game going on in the park.
Loving riding in the bike lane.
Obligatory panda shot.
And then here's Friday:
A stack of library books, a latte, my notebook and my favorite pen. I was incredibly productive. I'm also thrilled by the fact that not only can I get books from any public library in Western Massachusetts through interlibrary loan (I just requested Neil Gaiman's The Sandman: Dream Country to join in the I Will If You Will book club at Monkey See), BUT I can also take out any book from Mt. Holyoke library since I'm a Simmons GSLIS West student, and from Amherst College and UMass libraries because I'm a resident of one of the counties adjacent to them. It's great! So I currently have 4 library cards and I have books checked out from 3 different libraries.

It was a little chilly on Friday, so here were my shoes of choice:
If you're wondering what I've been reading lately (aside from textbooks and articles about library research) the answer is The Mysteries of Udolpho, a gothic novel with suspense and the supernatural and castles and romance, which I liked but didn't love; The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar which I absolutely adored, go read it; My Best Friend is a Wookie, a memoir about being a diehard Star Wars fan which I couldn't get into because I am not a huge fan of Star Wars; and now I've just started The Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan which is about a Brahmin woman who is widowed in the early 1900s and challenges the rules about widowhood that existed at that time.

In college I took a course on South Asian women writers, which I loved, and I still really enjoy reading books about India and Pakistan and the like, so I'm sort of on a "fiction about Indian women" kick. I'll let you know how Toss of a Lemon turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment